Black in America


When I, a “white” (male, Northern, liberal, Jewish, 21st Century …) American, think about the plight of blacks in America (that is to say, African-Americans in the United States), one simple image comes into my mind as typifying its essence: a black man (just happens to be a male in my image, perhaps because I would have more basis for identifying with a male), slave or free, under the power of an idiot, bigoted white man (man because the typical power-wielder, I suppose, whether it be overseer, prison guard, traffic cop, supervisor, teacher ...; but of course any white citizen, male or woman, can make trouble for a black man or woman if not appeased), and the black man is thinking to himself (or making silent acknowledgment to a black companion), “What an idiot this is whom I am powerless to confront or even ignore, now and in most of my life and life prospects.”
            This is a sentiment with which almost anybody can empathize, I assume, because it is an almost universal human predicament in one form or another. But what a colossal drag, to put it mildly, to be in a position like this for one's whole life! It is a blessing, therefore, that so many have found the strength or the opportunity to rise up against it and met with success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patient, Heal Thyself

No News Is Good News

A Wise (and Terrible) Thought